Saturday, March 19, 2016

Supported Spindling with the Twisted Threads Fiber Arts Guild

Thursday night was the guild meeting and our program was on support spindes. It was awesome - Jame brought in a whole range of spindles. Some from the Himelayas, Africa, Russian, one from France. She talked about these places and the type of fiber they spin and what materials they make their spindles from. It was very interesting! Afterward she passed out some bead style spindles she made by hand and tried to teach us how to use them. Some folks were better at it than others... I, myself, have no skill a spinning cotton. :P

Still she let me keep the lovely bead spindle - it glows in the dark! - and one of the other ladies there sold me a very inexpensive tahkli so I can practice. Because, really, I needed more spinning things in my life. I'll upload pictures later, right now I'm at Jaime's and didn't bring them. They're so small and delicate, I'll have to fret over them until I get used to them.

I also gave a brief speechish thing at the guild meeting about the website but there were only a few people there (on Saint Patrick's day... I wonder what they were all up to, hmm?) so we postponed any votes until later. It's always tricky talking to people about technical stuff, I used to have the same problem when I try to talk about cementitious materials. I start out talking in a way I *think* is pretty basic, then I realize I'm using a lot of jargon no one has any good reason to understand. Then when I adjust, I wind up talking way further down than I need to. I really need to work on that. Web hosts, DNS, code packages... most people have no good reason to know what I'm talking about when I yammer on and on about this stuff. In any case, we'll be voting on stuff like that soon and then I can roll up my sleeves and get to work!

Meanwhile, I'm working on some blending batts and rolags so soon I'll have an update for the Etsy shop and some cool pictures to show.

Update time: Here are the pictures of the support spindles I was talking about.

Bead whorl spindle, handmade by Jame.
Indian Tahkli Spindle, ideal for cotton.


No comments:

Post a Comment