Wednesday, March 30, 2016

House! And Etsy! But mostly house!

Is anyone superstitious about their knitting?

The Yarn Harlot  has talked in the past about her belief that expected babies won't be born until the things she's knitting for them are finished. And that sounds like utter nonsense except I'm trying to buy a house and I have been fantasizing about all the wonderful things I will knit and weave for my house - rugs, welcome mats, lacy curtains, pillows, and every other thing a pair of needles and possibly come up with. The only thing I've actually cast on is a welcome mat which I have idly been knitting a few rows a week while jumping through loan hurdles. I haven't been in much of a hurry because the house has tenants so I won't be able to move in until August and even my little heart can't maintain enthusiasm for that long. And the house buying process is no joke! It's been an endless marathon of inspections, repairs, post-repair inspections, septic testing, water testing, negotiations, and paper work... at one point I was no longer sure whether I was buying a house or just writing checks as part of some vicious practical joke.

Until the other day. See, I finished my socks and frogged the socks I'd started for Jaime (for no reasons! Definitely not because two at a time magic loop is hard and I got lost some how! I... just didn't like them). I've felt too guilty to cast on another project for me while Jaime's socks languish, unloved, in a project bag but I haven't quite been able to get up the gumption to restart his socks, soo... I've been dragging around the rug and have knit many, many rows on it.

And now. I have a closing date.

Whoa. Like... whoa. After all that rigmarole, apparently all I needed to buy a house was to get cracking on some knitting! That's my kind of karma, let me tell you. The house still has tenants... do you think they'll move out early if I get some lacy blue curtains done? ;D

To keep myself busy while I'm waiting, I also made some lovely, colourful things for Fantasy Fibres.


First there is this beautiful variegated orange I dyed up in a fit of pique after it rained and rained for days. Doesn't it look like a pile of sunflower petals? It chippered me right up and I saved 4 ounces of it to sell.


I also blended this batt with alternating layers of gradients going from pale blonde to dark brown and layers of a pumpkin orange, to give the whole batt a consistency and sort of unifying theme. It's made entirely of the softest things - merino and bamboo, mostly - with a little bit of tencel for strength. Each colour has a slightly different texture to it and I think this will be a wonderful spinning experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment