Monday, March 7, 2016

Intrepid Knitting Part 1

This weekend my youngish man took me on a surprise excursion for my birthday.

Boys and girls... I loathe surprises. I try to be a pretty outgoing person and to take a great deal of joy in the moment I find myself in... but still I loathe surprises. I dislike surprise parties. I don't like it when people show up unexpectedly. Heck, I prefer to know exactly what my presents will be. I'm not a surprise kind of girl. I had recently filled two bobbins with 4 ounces each (227 grams total) with the finest singles I have yet spun. It took hours of work - combing the wool, pre-drafting, and learning the new wheel's quirks so that I could get something fairly consistent. I was so looking forward to plying these two singles together into a beautiful fingering yarn that I packed my new spinning wheel to the youngish man's house. The new one. You know.. the expensive and delicate one? The one that's meant to live at home and be delicately cherished while my sturdy and reliable Louet travels? So excited was I about my plying that I also packed 4 ounces of beautiful blue kettle dyed roving I'd made a couple weeks back.

So when the youngish man revealed to me that we'd be driving two and a half hours off to some unknown destination for activities unspecified (despite constant questioning), it was hard for me to be properly excited and grateful to my thoughtful boyfriend. I began to feel better when we arrived at the Knit Wit Yarn Shop in Sperryville, VA.

Like an oasis in the desert...
Knit Wit's had the most glorious selection of sock yarns. Opal, Trekking, Saki Silk, local handspun... It all went straight to my head and I could barely restrain myself from buying everything with a hint of blue in it. They even carried all my favourite needle brands. I wandered around fondling everything before I finally settled on some little notions for Jackie and two matching balls of Saki Silk sock yarn (a mix of wool, nylon, and silk) so we can make matching socks.

© rmethvin

... Assuming I let her have one.

No comments:

Post a Comment