Thursday, March 31, 2016

Knitters Have Big Personalities

Last night I was invited to a social knitting dinner by Tricia, one of my favourite people at the guild. I don't think the social knitting group has a name or anything complicated - it's just a group of knitters and if they can, they generally show up on Wednesdays. It's nice and casual - I really dig that and it's awesome to have an undemanding social outing in the middle of the week.

I've mentioned before how awesome it is to find so many STEM women in the fiber arts and this group was no exception - there was me, a structural engineer, Tricia, an industrial engineer, and one woman who does IT for clinical research and another who does massage therapy (not really STEM, but still cool). Their names escape me because I'm just terrible with names. Still, lovely ladies and I was happy to spend the evening in their company. Edit: Karen is the clinical research IT geek and Sue is a kids physical therapist. Thanks Tricia!

Another thing I've noticed about fiber artists is they tend to be very interesting people with broad personalities. I'm sure there are shy and retiring knitters - perhaps they don't come to social gatherings? But all the ones I meet tend to have lots of knowledge and experience in interesting realms, stories to tell, lectures to give... and boy, will they give them! Now, please don't get me wrong. These are interesting people with interesting stories to tell and I enjoy listening, but it is a little funny to watch a group of women each... more or less... take turns completely and utterly dominating all the conversation.

... I may also do this.

And, of course, watching the social knitters reminded me to treasure Tricia and people like her who selflessly surrender the foreground and seem to have endless patience and interest with other people's stories. I wanna be like Tricia, if I grow up.

On that note, today was the adultiest day of my life, so far, as I closed on my yarn storage facility house. My first house. My darling, beautiful house. I don't get to live in it for another three months as I have tenants, but still. I am so excited, boys and girls.

Home, sweet home. <3
I'm trying to think of it as three months to pack. And properly plan out my craft room.

2 comments:

  1. all that space for stash! I'm jealous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? I won't have to start hiding yarn in the freezer until, like... next year!

      Delete