Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Observational Data Supporting Belief in the Power of Knitting!

Today I went to the DMV to get my driver's license renewed. They opened at 8 so I arrived at 7:30am to be first in line (I was not. How did that happen?). Still, there were only a couple people in front of me so I was sure it would go quickly and I'd get to work in plenty of time.

... I'll wait while you laugh at me. All done? Okay.

I'd taken my welcome mat and Jaime's Socks-To-Be along with a Ply Magazine on spinning cotton so even though they didn't allow cell phones, I knew I'd be well entertained for the, what, twenty minutes it take? Half an hour? But while I knit and knit and knit on my welcome mat, I had a vague sense of time ticking by while person after person was called ahead of me. I started to get very antsy and emailed my team leader to ask permission to be late. I flipped through the magazine, I measured, knit, and measured my welcome mat...

And finally, I picked up Jaime's socks. I opened up my book on Two-At-A-Time-Magic-Loop and reviewed the cast on technique. I organized my two balls of sock yarn into ziplock bags, fed tails through little holes, took a deep breath... and then I picked up my tiny, tiny needles and began casting on.

They immediately called my number.

No comments:

Post a Comment