Monday, May 16, 2016

What's On My Wheel: Not the February Lady

So I thought it'd just about kill me while I was spinning all the brown (brown, brown, brown... so much brown...), but I finished spinning all the yarn for my sweater. At least, I think I did. I might have screwed up the math and will wind up having to desperately try to match the dye... but it's not like I think about that constantly and with a jittery nervousness that keeps me up at night.


This is somewhere between 1200 and 1300 yards of 3-ply wool and the biggest spinning project I've undertaken so far. It wobbles a bit between a dk and worsted weight But I'm still proud. :) I did the main body in a Norweigan / Romney mix for durability and elasticity but I also did about 500 yards (see the caked section up above) in merino for the collar, the top of the yoke, and the bottoms of the sleeves... all the parts where the sweater might touch my skin when work over a t-shirt. Hopefully that's not doing something super crazy because I already started it.

I'm a little worried that the yarn is too busy for the lace panels so I knit a swatch and pinned it as if it had been blocked...


It looks pretty good, colour wise, but I'm not sure how well the sweater will hold a blocked shape under its own weight soo... we'll have to see. This is my first sweater, no one expects it to be perfect, right?

I cast on during the Maryland Sheep & Wool and have knit very diligently all week. I knit on my lunch breaks, I knit at home. I very carefully didn't start any interesting spinning projects so that I wouldn't be distracted from my knitting (except that gradient spin. I had to spin that to work in my new Roadbug. Hardly counts). And I have been rewarded with... a whole yoke of a sweater! And some chest. I'm not a fast knitter, guys.


2 comments:

  1. Yay you! Thanks to my semi-borked wrist, I've had to put down the tatting. Luckily, kumihimo doesn't stress my wrist nearly as much. Too bad I still need to type at work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! What'd you do to your poor wrist? :(

      Delete