Monday, May 9, 2016

The Merlin Tree Is Amazing

So we spent the weekend at the Maryland Sheep & Wool and I have soooo much to tell you about that. But first, I want to talk about The Merlin Tree. They make ultra portable, reasonably priced travel wheels in two models: The Hitchhiker and The Roadbug.

Hitchhiker.
Roadbug!

Now Jackie bought a Hitchhiker some time ago and really liked it right up until she tripped over the thing and damaged the wood on the drive system. It was really minor damage but in a connection point so she decided not to spin on it again until she could get it fixed. So when we saw that Merlin Tree would be at the Maryland Sheep & Wool, we took it with us. Jackie asked if she could buy a replacement for the part that was damaged... but Merlin Tree said, leave it with us for the day and let's see what we can do.

And then when we picked it up that evening it was totally fixed and spinning beautifully... and they didn't charge her. That's going above and beyond there. It was a total accident, absolutely not the fault of their craftsmanship in anyway. But they took it and they made it a beautiful, fully functioning wheel again.

And then they did something that absolutely floored me.

At the auction a Roadbug came up for sale. I'd spent about 10 minutes spinning on one of their demo wheels so I knew I could spin on it and the travel design is perfect for my lifestyle that involves a lot of going to see Jaime. And a lot of going to spin ins. :) So I bid. And bid. And bid and bid and bid... and won. It wasn't in perfect shape but the biggest problem was that the tension knob had been chewed on by a dog and was split - no longer functioning well. So I went to see if I could buy a new tension knob from them.

First, they were pleased by the price I'd paid for it - about $180 less than it would have been new. I can understand that... knowing that your wheels hold their value used is an important consideration to a spinner. Keeping more than 50% of it's value even after it's been beaten up a bit and badly needs some wood wax, that's good information for a dealer. So I asked if I could buy a tension knob, and they gave me one for free.

This is a really little thing - they cost $6.50 on the woolery and I'd have gladly paid for it... But it absolutely floored and charmed me they they let me have it. If you go and wander around their website, look at their wheels, you start to understand something about this husband and wife team: They're people. They're a couple of people who decided to fulfill a need they saw in the spinning community. They adopt sheep, they have huge, spoiled dogs. They made design choices for the needs and convenience of their customers... who they want to be happy spinners.

They could easily have designed the wheel, like every other spinning wheel company in the world, to use only their specific bobbins. Then we'd all have to buy another set of a million bobbins from another company.. but instead, they chose to use the most common and inexpensive bobbins on the market so that we'd always be able to find some. They've made ethical, thoughtful design decisions that have a direct effect on their bottom line. That's amazing.

For that tension knob, these people have made me a fan for life.

No comments:

Post a Comment