Friday, May 13, 2016

Maryland Sheep & Wool Part 2

Jackie and I missed the Spin-In. I can hardly believe it.

We had this brilliant idea of going to the hotel before it started to check in, drop off some stuff, and get something to eat before the Spin In. But then traffic was really bad and we didn't realize how totally exhausted we were... We crawled into the fluffy, cloud-like beds and it was all over. Each of us were laying there, wondering how to mention we didn't want to go back without totally ruining it for the other.

Fortunately we were on the same page so pizza was ordered, movies were watched, and we got to bed pretty early. Early enough that I didn't bite anyone when I was woken up at 6 am. We had a lovely breakfast in the hotel restaurant and then skedaddled right back to the Sheep & Wool. First we had to drop off a bunch of alpaca Jackie wanted the mill to process for her - I can't wait to see what they make of it because doing all that by hand is a bit much. 1 or 2 lbs, yes. Not 90. :P

The young man who took our fiber was terribly charming and so handsome that I had to take my sunglasses off to admire him better. We met some interesting people at the fiber drop off (and fondled their fleeces with more glee than manners), especially a wonderful lady named Julie who is raising merino x corriedale sheep. The fleece she had there was a lamb's fleece and so especially lovely but I can't wait to get my hands on some of her fluff! If I hadn't spent all my money and half of Jackie's at the auction the night before, I'd have bought it all up then and there because she was sell it for $5 a lb. Excuse me, I need to wipe the drool off my keyboard.

We watched the Sheep to Shawl competition which was just amazing. Those folks have clearly put a ton of work into practicing and planning. The crowd favourite was a group who were all dressed up in an Alice in Wonderland theme. They were just amazing - their costumes were excellent and they built a little display stand that was right on theme. The decorations were amazing.


After the competition while they were waiting for the shawls to dry to start the auction, this group of clever ladies mingled through the crowd, taking pictures and staying in character. I didn't get to stay for the auction, but I bet it really improved the price of their work. We had to go because Judith Mackenzie, THE JUDITH, was giving a talk on the origin of sheep. This was basically the highlight of the show for us. We got there very early so we had front row seats. In fact, we were so front and center, I managed to make a complete fool of myself.

See, while she was waiting for everything to get going, Judith came over and asked me what I was knitting - I was working on the February Lady from my homespun. "It's a February Lady" I told her. "Ah," she said. "It's beautiful.

"Thanks! I dyed and spun it myself!" I chirped. Just like I wasn't a person sitting there with yarn full of thinner and thicker sections. Yarn that hadn't been over spun in places. Yarn that wasn't a solid column of merino wool foam because I have NO IDEA how to spin Merino!

"It's very nice," she said kindly, while I tried to crawl into the floor, taking me amateur homespun with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment