Sunday, February 14, 2016

And so it begins...

In November, I started knitting.

It just sort of happened - I wanted to knit some accessories for my larp character so I went to the used craft store and picked up a pair of size 10 straight needles and some fun fur yarn and got to work. Two weeks later I was knitting a bag "just to hold my knitting" and a baby blanket because, after all, my friends were having a baby and babies need blankets. Being a slightly crazed person with a tendency to really focus on my hobbies, I should have been more cautious. Instead I posted on the local freecycle, asking if anyone had some yarn going spare that they'd give me to play with - that's how I met Joan. Joan is a lovely lady who's been knitting her whole life and was in the midst of a destash - a fabled process particularly Zen knitters occasionally go through where they release some of their fluffy possessions into the world to spread warmth and joy.

My lovely and talented stepmother, Jackie, is an award winning fiber artist who was absolutely flummoxed when I showed up for Thanksgiving with a pile of yarn.

No comments:

Post a Comment